Lower Dolpo Trekking, where you will be in the land of ancient Bonpa sect of pre-Buddhism and in the country where elusive snow-leopard and blue sheep habitats, a scenic walk in the harmony of local Dolpo people immense culture and traditions.
Lower Dolpo Trekking located around Nepal Far North West on least explored and hardly visited by westerners or foreign travelers due to its remoteness and isolated from the main big cities of Nepal.
Adventure involves scenic sweeping flights to and from Kathmandu to reach at Nepal Far South city of Nepalgunj and highland of Dolpo country, where our marvelous walks leads you within Nepal largest National Park of Shey-Phoksundo with an area of 3,555 sq. kms.
Around Lower Dolpo Trekking where you will be walking into forest of blue pine, spruce, cypress, poplar, deodar, fir and birch trees, as walk leads higher above Jugdula River valley consists mostly of Quercus species.
Higher above crossing few high passes of Namo-la and Baga-la above 5,100 m leading you on Old Trans-Himalaya Salt and Caravan Route of Nepal and Tibet with landscapes near to desert type with vegetation of mainly dwarf juniper and caragana shrubs.
On walks one might spot rare and elusive snow leopard and the blue sheep, other common wild-life found around are Goral, Himalayan Thar, Serow, leopard, wolf, jackal, where bird-life can be often seen such as Impeyan Pheasant (Danphe national bird of Nepal), blood pheasant, cheer pheasants, red and yellow billed cough, raven, jungle crow, snow partridge and many others species.
Lower Dolpo Trekking also leads you into beautiful turquoise colored Lake Phoksundo within its magnificent surrounding after walking through Jhupal and Dunai and exploring the village of Ringmo, Tokyu-Gaon and Tarakot villages of great interest.
On this awesome adventure of two-week duration where you will be impressed witnessing Dolpo impressive ancient Bon culture, of pre Buddhism which is almost extinct in some parts of the Himalaya, where on this wonderful trek you will have this opportunity.
After glorious moment with grand views of high snow capped mountains and enjoying local fascinating traditional life, where our walks completes heading back to Jhupal for scenic flight to Nepalgunj and then back at Kathmandu with memorable adventure and experience on Lower Dolpo Trekking.
- Adventure on ancient Trans-Himalayan Salt Trade & Caravan Trail to Tibet via Dolpo
- Extension of huge South-West Tibetan landscapes within world highest plateau land
- Explore Lower Dolpo villages enriched with ancient Bon tradition and Buddhism culture
- Impressive old monasteries and villages with stunning views of dramatic valley and mountains
- Crossing high passes of Numa-la Baga-la with exceptional views of high snow-capped peaks
- Walk on high windswept-dry and arid country within beautiful landscapes
- Grand views of snowcapped peaks of Dhaulagiri- Kagmara with Kanjibroba peaks
- In the country of ancient Bon sect of pre Buddhism and Blue Sheep with elusive snow-leopard
- Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu 1,350 m / 4,430 ft and transfer to Hotel.
- Day 02: In Kathmandu with sightseeing tour at places of interest.
- Day 03: Fly to Nepalgunj city and transfer to hotel. (50 mins on air)
- Day 04: Fly to Jhupal 2,475 m then drive to Dunai 2,140 m - 02 hrs.
- Day 05: Trek to Chhepka 2,838 m - 06 hrs.
- Day 06: Trek to Samdua village 2,960m -06 hrs.
- Day 07: Trek to Phoksumdo Lake 3,630 m - 06 hours.
- Day 08: Rest day at Phoksundo Lake for local excursion.
- Day 09: Cross Baga La 5,070m and to Phedi 4,470m - 07 hrs.
- Day 10: Cross Numa-la 5,190 m and to walk to other Phedi - 08 hrs.
- Day 11: Trek to Tokyu Gaon 4,200m via Jeng la 5,090 m - 06 hrs.
- Day 12: Trek to Dho Tarap 3, 944 m- 05 hrs.
- Day 13: Trek to Ghymagar 3,759 m - 07 hrs.
- Day 14: Trek to Tarap Khola 3,652 via Chhyugar 3,440 m - 06 hours.
- Day 15: Trek to Tarakot 2,540 m - 06 hrs.
- Day 16: Trek to Dunai - 05 hrs then drive to Jhupal - 02 hr jeep ride.
- Day 17: Fly back to Kathmandu via Nepalgunj and transfer to hotel.
- Day 18: Free day in Kathmandu for individual activities.
- Day 19: Final International departure from Nepal.
- All airport pick up drop off by private vehicle (for both international and domestic flights)
- Welcome dinner in an authentic restaurant
- 04 night twin/double shearing deluxe accommodation on BB in Kathmandu
- 01 night twin/double shearing deluxe accommodation on full board in Nepaljung
- Guided sightseeing tours in Kathmandu with private vehicle (entrance fees extra)
- Kathmandu to Nepaljung to Juphal and Juphal to Nepaljung to Kathmandu by flight
- All necessary trek permit and Trekkers’ Information Management System( TIMS card)
- A highly experience, helpful, knowledgeable, friendly, English speaking, well-trained, Government license holding guide. Price includes his salary, food, drinks, accommodation, transport and insurance.
- 02 guest to 01 porter with their insurance, salary, food, accommodation and equipment
- Your cost includes insurance, wages, food and lodging for both your guide and porter. We take excellent care of our guides and porters, they are like family to us.
- twin shearing accommodation during the trek
- Three meals a day; breakfast, lunch and dinner and tea/coffee during the trekking.
- Snacks of biscuits/peanuts and seasonal fresh fruits dessert during the trek
- First aid kit
- Trekking Planner’s sleeping bag, down jackets, T-shirt, cap, duffle bags, city and trekking route maps – if necessary.
- Arrangement of emergency evacuation service (should have insurance for emergency evacuation and will be paid by your travel insurance company)
- Oxymeter to check your pulse and oxygen saturation and heart rate twice daily during the trek (very useful to check Altitude Mountain Sickness(AMS) symptoms). This helps ensure your trek is in the safest hands possible.
- All applicable government and local taxes per the itinerary
- One-hour complimentary spa/massage in Kathmandu after the trek
- Nepal Visa fee (Bring accurate fee in USD and two Passport size Photo)
- International airfare to and from Kathmandu (no need to pay departure tax for international flight)
- Diner and lunch in Kathmandu
- Personal travel and health Insurance, Insurance for helicopter evacuation
- Extra night accommodation and lunch and dinner in city because of early arrival, late departure and early return from the mountain (due to any reason) then the scheduled itinerary
- Personal expenses (phone calls, baggage charge, laundry, bar bills, battery recharge, extra porters, bottle or boiled water, shower etc)
- Tips to the trekking crews and drive
- Extra expenses due to flight delays, strikes, weather condition or any event out of our control
- Anything not included in service includes column
- Duffel/Rucksack bag/Suitcase (We provide one complimentary Trekking Planner duffel bag that is to be returned after the trip)
- Day pack
- Trekking shoes
- Sports shoes or sandals
- Sun Hat/cap
- Warm woolen cap
- Warm fleece jacket or puffy jacket
- Waterproof Gore-Tex layer
- Pullover or warm sweeter
- 4/5 pairs of good quality socks
- Hand gloves
- 2/3 pairs of trekking trousers
- 3/4 pairs of trekking shirts
- 3/4 pairs of underwear (non cotton preferred)
- Sun glasses
- Water bottle
- 4 season sleeping bag (Optional/we can provide one if you need it. It is to be returned after the trip)
- Flash or Torch light
- Camera and batteries
As mentioned above that Dolpo or Dolpa falls as Nepal largest National Park of Shey-Phoksundo with an area of 3,555 sq. kms. A beautiful charming country to visit and experience once in your life-time, as the area seldom ventured by main flow of trekkers and adventurer due to its remoteness and isolated from other parts of Nepal.
The area still remains a raw country to visit and to explore timeless cultures of Dolpo habitants, Dolpo area was exposed to the outside world from the famous classic novel ‘Snow Leopard’ written by Peter Mattessian an American author who visited this country from Dorpatan that links with Pokhara in mid 1970’s published the novel around mid 1980’ a fascinating and interesting to read.
Dolpo was famous from the movie Himalaya, original called ‘Caravan’ but the name coincided with Hollywood films of 1980’s star cast with veteran actor Anthony Quinn, so the name from Caravan was changed to Himalaya, a joint venture of French and Nepalese nominated for Oscar Award in 1999, worth to see the movie and read the novel Snow Leopard.
The highlight of the Dolpo is visiting its isolated villages enriched with age-old ancient culture of both Buddhism and Bon sect of pre Buddhism similar to Native American Red Indians and Inwiks (Eskimo) or Laplanders.
A photogenic country to explore and visit with awesome scenery of mountains, deep valley and impressive villages as well crossing high scenic passes to reach from one side of Inner Dolpo to Lower Dolpo region.
Related Trekking areas for interested people would be adventure to Upper Dolpo around Shey Gompa the Crystal Monastery, or walk towards Mustang areas from Dolpo close to massive Dhaulagiri mountain range.
One can continues walk from Jhupal to Rara Lake and fly out from small airstrip called Talcha airport or via Jumla.