I went to Everest Base Camp in August 2019. EBC was my best life experience so far which I will never forget. It is sooooooo beautiful.
As a female solo traveller, I truly felt “safe” with my guide (Ramesh) and the porter. Ramesh is a great photographer who helped me to record all those beautiful moments, the porter was such a helpful, friendly young guy who always had a smile on his face and helped me every morning to pack the sleeping bag which was not his duty and I am thankful for.
A few areas of improvement for the guide (Ramesh).
1) On the way back to Namche which we supposed to have lunch there, I suddenly found myself alone in the mountain, the guide just left without even telling me, I even could not see him from far, he just disappeared suddenly. I was frustrated and panic somehow, after a long walk when I reached the restaurant we supposed to have lunch (the same restaurant that we stopped 3 days ago) the guide was there and was enjoying his drink!!! He did not even bother to explain or apologize for his action. Still, it is not clear to me why he did that!
2) At EBC we took a photo with the company banner, in which was written Kala Patthar!!!, which we did not even go to! On the way back, I found out that it was only 2-3 hours more walk to Kala Patthar which if I had more information about this, I would definitely be wanted to go. It is the saddest thing about my trip. I regret that I could go to Kala Patthar and we did not! 🙁
3) He felt his job is done after we reached EBC because he changed a lot in attitude and his service! e.g. in Kathmandu airport, he left me alone with my heavy backpack and was talking on the phone and disappeared! I was running after him with a heavy backpack at a crowded airport and he did not even care about me to help or at least wait for me to reach him! I found it rude.
4) The guide kept justifying (lying!) about things. E.g. in some hostel/tea houses, I requested a room upstairs, and he could just say our estimated budget is x and I can not upgrade ur room, (that I could understand or I could pay the extra fee myself for a better room) instead he was like, the rooms are full (the whole hostel was empty on that season) or the upper floor is not good, next day I asked the hostel manager and the second floor rooms were slightly (2$) more expensive! shocking, I wish I had the option to upgrade my room and I could pay the balance myself! another example was a museum in Namche which he said it is closed! so I did not go, and at night, people were telling me about that museum which they went THAT day. He needs to be more honest, and less stingy!
5) The last day plan was to help me to buy some souvenirs and then to visit a temple in the evening with another guide. I asked if he can company me for lunch first, he said he already had his lunch! so we started shopping, after 20 minutes, he kept looking at his watch, 100 times per minute, I asked if he is in rush, he said “Yes, I am going to meet my friends for lunch!”, I felt so offended by his attitude and asked him if he wants to go now? he gladly left without asking with me if I know how to return to my hotel, and disappeared in a blink of an eye! I got lost and confused there and later I texted the tour manager and cancelled the other tour, I told him I am going to meet my friends!!! but the fact was I disgust his behaviour so much that I did not want to meet any of such guides anymore. I explored the city by myself happily on that day “alone”!
5) And many more but the word limit does not allow me to write more…
As InterNation ambassador who has organized many international events, and as a foreign lecturer who is dealing with lots of international students, I gave him many suggestions and advice which I hope he employs, and indirectly I recommended him to change his job to a hostel manager or sth, I did not find him passionate or self-motivated at all! the role of the guide is not to walk ahead to people follow you, it is something more than that! He needs to learn to be a good listener, many times he replied something that proven me that he did not even listen! He is a good human but not a great guide.
Ramesh does not have my recommendation at all.