“The true virtue of any journey lies in the ecstasy of getting one with nature”
Upper Mustang Damodar Lake Trek is a trek in the Himalayas that takes you close to Mustang region and let you discover its hidden culture and ancient traditions. Damodar Kunda is one of the last attractions of tourist and spiritual importance opened for foreign tourists. Damodar Kunda (Lake) is situated in a basin in the Damodar Himal and flows southward through a rain shadow valley on the eastern edge of the Annapurna Range. Related to Krishna Lila of Lord Krishna of Hindus it is one of the most important Hindu pilgrimage sites situated in of the most inaccessible areas of the Himalaya. This is a less frequented restricted trekking route in Annapurna region but without a doubt, this trek offers superb panoramic views of whole Annapurna range, lush valleys, beautiful landscape, and Tibetan monasteries.
Upper Mustang Damodar Trek route is situated at the lap of the high Himalayas in Upper Mustang area of Nepal. This Upper Mustang Damodar trek starts with the flight to Jomsom from Pokhara and treks up to Upper Mustang which is located on the western Himalayan range and adjoining plateau of Tibetan border of Nepal. The trek to Lo Manthang begins through an almost tree-less barren landscape, a steep rocky trail up and downhill enjoying the panoramic views of Nilgiri, Annapurna, Dhaulagiri and several other peaks along the trail. Upper Mustang is declared as a restricted area and imposes strict regulation to obtain a special permit from the department of immigration in order to protect the environment and tradition from outside influence. You will have an opportunity to explore the ancient old monastery, caves, local tribes and scenic beauties of the different landscapes.
Also, you will have a great chance to visit the royal palace of Mustang King and take a photograph with him. After spending time in Lo Manthang you will head for Damodar Kunda where every year especially on the full moon of August a big religious festival is held. Many Hindu & Buddhist pilgrims from different parts of Nepal and India visit Damodar Kunda & take a holy dip in the lake. Thus it will be a great adventure for you to indulge yourself in, so why not in Nepal for this trek as we are willing to give you a fully supported trek of this region.
Upper Mustang Damodar Trek is moderately strenuous and requires trekkers to have an above average fitness level and positive attitude as it’s a long trek with average 6-7 hours of walk-on hilly terrain lies in this trek. Generally, the best season for this trek is February to Mid-June and September to December. Join Trekking Planner now for this incredible trek and get the best out of your pursuit of adventure in the Mustang region full of diversity.
- Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu (1350m/4430ft )
- Day 02: Cultural and Historical tours in Kathmandu/ Trek preparation
- Day 03: Drive to Pokhara (820m/2690ft) about 7 hrs drive
- Day 04: Fly to Jomsom (2710m/8891ft) about 25min and trek to Kagbeni (2807m/9209ft) 3-4 hrs walk
- Day 05: Trek to Chussang (2920m/9580ft) 5-6 hrs walk
- Day 06: Trek to Samar (3290m/10793ft) 5-6 hrs walk
- Day 07: Trek to Ghiling (3600m/11811ft) 5-6 hrs walk
- Day 08: Trek to Tsarang (3520m/11549ft) 6-7 hrs walk
- Day 09: Trek to Lo Manthang (3780m/12402ft) 4-5 hrs walk
- Day 10: Full day in Local Excursion in Lo Manthang
- Day 11:. Trek to Dri /Yara
- Day 12: Trek to Bas Khola
- Day 13:. Bas Khola, acclimatization day
- Day 14: Trek to Damodar Lake (4890m/16043ft)
- Day 15: Trek to Ghechung Khola
- Day 16: Trek to Tangye (3240m/10629ft)
- Day 17: Trek to Tetang (2940m/9645ft)
- Day 18: Trek to Muktinath (3700m/12140ft)
- Day 19: Trek to Jomsom(2710m/8891ft) about 4 hrs walk
- Day 20: Fly back to Pokhara (820m/2690ft) about 25min
- Day 21: Drive back to Kathmandu (1350m/4430ft) about 7 hrs drive
- Day 22: Final departure
USD $2605.00 per person(3 star category hotel in KTM)
USD $2850.00 per person(4 star category hotel in KTM)
USD $3020.00 per person(5 star category hotel in KTM)
Single Supplement US $350.00
- All airport pick up drop by private vehicle
- 03 night twin/double shearing deluxe accommodation on BB in Kathmandu
- Guided sightseeing tours with private vehicle in Kathmandu
- Welcome dinner in Authentic Restaurant
- Kathmandu to Pokhara to Kathmandu by tourist bus
- 02 night twin/double shearing deluxe accommodation on BB in Pokhara
- Pokhara to Jomsom to Pokhara by flight
- ACAP Permit and Special permit for upper mustang trek for 10 days
- Accommodation in the mountain during the trekking
- Three meals a day; breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and tea/coffee during the trekking
- A highly experience, helpful, knowledgeable, friendly , English speaking well trained, Government license holder guide with all his salary, food, drinks, accommodation, Transport and insurance.
- 02 guest=01 porter with their Insurance, Salary, Food, accommodation and equipment
- Safe drinking water and first add kid box
- Trekking Planner’s sleeping bag, down jackets,Ti-shirt, Cap, duffle bags, city and trekking route maps – if necessary.
- Nepal Visa fee (Bring accurate fee in USD and two Passport size Photo)
- International airfare to and from Kathmandu (no need to pay departure tax for international flight)
- Diner and lunch in Kathmandu and in Pokhara
- Personal travel and health Insurance, Insurance for helicopter evacuation
- Extra night accommodation and lunch and dinner in city because of early arrival, late departure and early return from the mountain (due to any reason) then the scheduled itinerary
- Personal expenses (phone calls, baggage charge, laundry, bar bills, battery recharge, extra porters, bottle or boiled water, shower etc)
- Tips to the trekking crews and drive
- Extra expenses due to flight delays, strikes, weather condition or any event out of our control
- Anything not included in service includes column
- Duffel/Rucksack bag/Suitcase (We will provide one complimentary Trekking Planner duffel bag but is to be returned after the trip)
- rekking day bag.( Small handbag)
- Trekking shoes
- Sports shoes or sandal
- Trekking stick
- Sun Hat, cap Warm woolen cap
- Trekking jacket Gore tax/ flees jacket
- Pullover or warm sweeter
- 4/5 pairs of good qualities shock
- Hand gloves
- 2/3 pairs of Trekking trousers
- 3/4 pairs of trekking shirts
- 3/4 pairs of Underwear
- Eye glass
- Water bottle
- 4 seasons Sleeping bag (Optional/we can provide one if you need it but is to be returned after the trip)
- Flash or Torch light
- Camera and batteries
Difficulties rating of Upper Mustang Dhamodhar Lake Trekking
A trekkers have to pass many hills so trekker should be fit to do this trekking. Maximum altitude of the trek is 4890m (Damodar Lake), so you should be careful about altitude related risk. To get rid of it please walk slowly and have more water and avoid alcoholic drinks. Please be careful of frost bit and snow blindness. You must take care of your health.
Safe drinking water on Dhamodhar Lake Trekking
Basically, we can get mineral water bottles in lower places but as we go higher cannot find it. In that case, we suggest you drink boiled water which may charge a small fee, found in tea houses and better to bring chlorine tablets to purify water. Due to no provision of plastic bottles better to use boiled rather than mineral water, helpful for protection of the environment.
Recharging Batteries of Electronic Items On the Trek
Hydro electricity or solar power sources are used to charge your electrical items like camera, batteries, ipod, iphone etc. Tea houses or lodges may charge a small fee per hours for charging facilities. Better to buy adopters before the trip since plugs are limited. In Nepal, 220-240 volt power is used and sockets fit round and flat plugs.
Use a dustbin and do not throw anything into the fire. Carry garbages in the way where dustbin facilities is not available and conserve the environment.
Spending Money per Day
It mainly depends upon spending habits, normally you should allocate US$ 9-12 per meal in Kathmandu and Pokhara. On trekking, US$ 10-14 a day is good enough to buy drinks and chocolates.
Travel Insurance for Dhamodhar Lake Trekking
You should be sufficiently protected and need to have travel insurance that covers emergency evacuation, lost items, liabilities, injuries and medical treatment. Ensure the insurance covers all the activities in the Himalayas. Trekking Planner can offer the appropriate medical response based on your policy and insurance.
Washing and Toilet facilities for Dhamodhar Lake Trekking
All the guest houses offer hot showers, which can be in a bathroom or can be a bucket of hot water. Please note that at high altitude there may not be enough hot water for all the trekkers. Limit the use of hot water unless the water is solar heated or firewood for the ecological reason. Every lodge has some kind of washing facilities but you must carry a bar of soap. If the water has frozen then ask your guide to get a warm bowl of water.
A toilet is mainly Asian squat style. Basically, the toilet is outside your room and vary in how clean they are. You should not through toilet paper in the toilet hole rather you should use a rubbish bin that is kept inside the toilet.
On this trekking route local people have built tea houses lodge with food and beverage facilities. A simple room usually has two narrow beds. While staying in the tea houses you will see the charming local people with their good hospitality services.
How Can I Plan and Confirm My Trip?
Trekking Planner is a government licensed trekking company in Nepal. You can see photos of legal documents in about us section. We accept your booking under the following terms and conditions:
- Bookings must be done 48 hrs. in advance
- Free Cancellation
- No Down payment
- No Deposit
- Accept Cash Payment, Bank Transfer, Western Union, Money Gram, or a Credit Card.
For more information see our Terms and Conditions page.