Gokyo Cho La Pass Trekking Route serves as one of the finest adventures in the Gokyo valley region. This route is for the adventurers who seek raw , natural beauty and scenic diversity combined with unique cultures and traditions. Join this trek for some of the most stunning views of the Himalayas,. This trek has varying landscapes; beautiful valleys, deep gorges, majestic glaciers, and glacial rivers. The villages have maintained the allure of tradition and culture for ages. Furthermore, take on the challenging and formidable Cho La Pass (5,420m). Lay eyes on the Ngozumba glacier – the largest in the Himalaya. Explore Gokyo village, one of the highest settlements in the world.
Suitable for the daredevil and intrepid travelers who seek a challenge, Gokyo Cho La Pass Trekking Route has various gifts in store for the explorers. We start with the cultural and historical heritage of the Kathmandu valley, then we depart to the Himalaya. The trek starts with the scenic flight over rolling hills which give way to the lofty Himalayas. We follow serpentine rivers and trek through the settlements en route the Namche Bazaar.
The route is sprinkled with prayer flags, prayer wheels, and Mani stones. Enjoy the rhododendron forest, ancient monasteries, suspension bridges and views of the Himalayas at various points along the route.
Next, we will arrive at Namche Bazaar along this Gokyo Cho La Pass Trekking Route. This bustling hub of the Khumbu region serves as the trading center. It is a favorite acclimatization place for the Everest climbers and trekkers alike. The trek continues to higher altitudes up to the ancient monasteries in Tengboche, Dingboche before moving on to the iconic Everest Base Camp.
Trekkers then return to Lobuche before going to Thangan. It is here where we will arrive at the challenging Cho La Pass. Witness the marvelous mountain scenery from the pass. Immerse yourself in the unique culture and tradition of Sherpa community. This culture is influenced by Tibetan Buddhism. Follow the footsteps of legendary climbers as you trek through various stopovers along the trail. After conquering over the challenging pass, you shall traverse through unique settlements of Gokyo, Dole, Machhermo, and others before passing through Namche again. Afterward, it’s back to Lukla where we will depart for Kathmandu announcing the end of this challenging trek.
Gokyo Cho La Pass Trekking Route has a carefully crafted itinerary to provide you with proper acclimatization, safety and the best the expedition. Due to the strenuous nature of this trek, trekkers need to have above average physical fitness and endurance. Join hands with Nepal Trekking Planner for professional service, an experienced guide, amazing porters, carefully planned itinerary, reasonable price and quality service above and beyond the standards set by regulating agencies in Nepal. If you are a daredevil seeking an authentic trekking adventure choose Gokyo Cho La Pass Trekking Route.
- Adventure on both scenic sides of high Khumbu valley with amazing views
- Walk into beautiful Gokyo valley enriched with marvelous surrounding scenery
- Hike to Gokyo-Ri for super views of Mt. Everest, Lhotse, Cho-Oyu and Makalu
- Pleasant moments at Gokyo emerald lakes enclosed by high giant mountains
- Traverse from Gokyo valley towards Everest base camp via high Chola-la pass
- Amazing landscapes views with mountains and towering hills within Khumbu
- Enjoy local villages traditional farm and visiting its interesting monasteries
- Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu (1350m/4430ft)
- Day 02: Full day in Kathmandu
- Day 03: Flight to Lukla (2828m/9279ft) 35m and trek to Phakding (2780m/9121ft) 3-4 hrs walk
- Day 04: Trek to Namche Bazaar (3440m/11287ft) 5-6 hrs walk
- Day 05: Rest day at Namche Bazaar
- Day 06: Trek to Tengboche (3860m/12632ft) 4-5 hrs walk
- Day 07: Trek to Dingboche (4350m/14272ft) 4-5 hrs walk
- Day 08: Rest day Dingboche
- Day 09: Trek to Lobuche (4910m//16109ft) 4-5 hrs walk
- Day 10: Trek to Gorakshep(5180m/16995ft) 3-4 hrs walk and Everest Base Camp (5364m/17600ft) 2-3 hrs walk
- Day 11: Trek to Kala Pattar (5545m/18193ft) 2-3 hrs walk and to Dzonglha (4830m/15847ft) 4-5 hrs walk
- Day 12: Trek to Thangan (4700m//15420ft) 6-7 hrs walk via Chola pass (5420m/17782ft)
- Day 13: Trek to Gokyo (4750m/15584ft) 4-5 hrs walk
- Day 14: Full day in Gokyo
- Day 15: Trek to Dole (4200m/13780ft) 4-5 hrs walk
- Day 16: Trek to Namche (3440m/11286ft) 4-5 hrs walk
- Day 17: Trek to Lukla (2828m/9279ft) 5-6 hrs walk
- Day 18: Fly back to Kathmandu-(1350m/4430ft)-Hotel
- Day 19: Final departure
- All airport pick up drop by private vehicle (for both international and domestic flights)
- Welcome dinner in an authentic restaurant
- 03 night twin/double sharing accommodation in BB in Kathmandu
- Guided sightseeing tours in Kathmandu with private vehicle.
- Kathmandu to Lukla to Kathmandu flight with airport departure tax
- National Park entrance fee and Trekkers’ Information Management System( TIMS card)
- A highly experience, helpful, knowledgeable, friendly, English speaking, well-trained, Government license holding guide. Price includes his salary, food, drinks, accommodation, transport and insurance.
- 02 guest to 01 porter with their insurance, salary, food, accommodation and equipment
- We provide an assistant guide his salary, food, drinks, accommodation, transport and insurance walking with group to support where necessary as per the group size
- Accommodation in the mountain during the trekking
- Three meals a day; breakfast, lunch and dinner and tea/coffee during the trekking.
- First add kit box
- Trekking Planner’s sleeping bag, down jackets, T-shirt, cap, duffle bags, city and trekking route maps – if necessary.
- Arrangement of emergency evacuation service (should have insurance for emergency evacuation and will be paid by your travel insurance company)
- Oxymeter to check your pulse and oxygen saturation and heart rate twice daily during the trek (very useful to check Altitude Mountain Sickness(AMS) symptoms). This helps ensure your trek is in the safest hands possible.
- All applicable government and local taxes per the itinerary
- Your Nepal Visa fees (should bring small accurate fees in USD and 02 passport size photos)
- All the International air fare to and from Kathmandu (no need to pay departure tax for international flight)
- Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu
- Meals during the traveling time
- Personal travel and health insurance as well as insurance for helicopter evacuation
- In case of extra nights’ accommodation, lunch and dinner in city due to early arrival and late departure as well as early back/return from mountain/trekking (due to any reason) than the given time period of itinerary. We can help you arrange extra nights accommodation.
- Your personal expenses such as (laundry, baggage charge, phone calls, battery recharge, bar and beverage bill, boiled or bottle water, hot and cold shower, extra porter.. etc)
- The tips to the trekking crews and drive
- Extra expenses due to flight delays, strikes, weather condition or any event out of our control
- Anything not included in service includes column
Suggested Equipment list for this trip;
- Duffel/Rucksack bag/Suitcase (We provide one complimentary Trekking Planner duffel bag that is to be returned after the trip)
- Day pack
- Trekking shoes
- Sports shoes or sandals
- Sun Hat/cap
- Warm woolen cap
- Warm fleece jacket or puffy jacket
- Waterproof Gore-Tex layer
- Pullover or warm sweeter
- 4/5 pairs of good quality socks
- Hand gloves
- 2/3 pairs of trekking trousers
- 3/4 pairs of trekking shirts
- 3/4 pairs of underwear (non cotton preferred)
- Sun glasses
- Water bottle
- 4 season sleeping bag (Optional/we can provide one if you need it. It is to be returned after the trip)
- Flash or Torch light
- Camera and batteries
Difficulties rating of Gokyo Cho La Pass Trekking
Someone who is easily able to hike 5-6 hours per day carrying a light weight backpack will be fit enough to do this trek. There are stone steps up and down which are uneven. Due to some long descents, your legs may feel shaky so we recommend the use of walking poles. The maximum altitude of the trek is 5545m, so you need to be careful about your health and altitude related risks. To properly acclimatize one needs to walk slowly and drink lots of water.
Safe drinking water on Gokyo Cho La Pass Trek
Generally, you can find bottled water at lower altitude but it gets harder to find it at higher elevations. Furthermore, it gets more expensive. In those higher altitudes, we recommend you drink previously boiled water which can be purchased at tea houses for a small fee. You can also bring chlorine tablets or a backcountry rated water filter to purify your water if you wish. Due to the lack of regulation and difficulty of disposing of plastic bottles it is highly encouraged to use boiled water. This is very helpful to protect our environment.
Recharging Batteries of Electronic Items On the Trek
Hydro electricicty or solar power sources are used to charge your electrical items like camera, batteries, ipod, iphone etc. Tea houses or lodges may charge small fee per hours for charging facilities. Better to buy adoptors before the trip since plugs are limited. In Nepal 220-240 volt power is used and sockets fit round and flat plugs.
Extra Advice for Gokyo Cho La Pass Trek
Hydro electricity or solar power sources are used to charge your electrical items like cameras, batteries, iPods, phones etc. Tea houses or lodges may charge small fee per hour for charging facilities. We recommend buying adaptors before the trip since plugs are limited. In Nepal 220-240 volt power is used and sockets fit round and flat plugs.
Use a dustbin and do not throw anything into the fire. Carry garbage until dustbin facilities are available. Do not litter on the trail. Please be conscious of conserving the environment.
Spending Money per Day
This mainly depends on your spending habits. Normally you should allocate US $9-12 per meal in Kathmandu and Pokhara. While trekking, US $10-15 a day is good enough to buy drinks and chocolates.
Travel Insurance for Gokyo Cho La Pass Trek
You should be sufficiently protected. It is required to have travel insurance that covers emergency evacuation, lost items, liabilities, injuries and medical treatment. Ensure the insurance covers all the activities in the Himalayas. Trekking Planner can offer appropriate medical response based on your policy and insurance.
Washing and Toilet facilities for Gokyo Cho La Pass Trek:
All guest houses offer hot showers, which can be a shower stall or a bucket of hot water. Please note that at high altitude there may not be enough hot water for all the trekkers. Limit the use of hot water unless the water is solar heated for ecological reasons. Every lodge has some kind of washing facilities but you must carry a bar of soap. If the water is frozen simply ask your guide to get warm bowl of water.
Toilets are mainly Asian style squat toilets. Toilets are outside of your room. You are in the mountains: Cleanliness will vary. You should not throw toilet paper in the toilet. Instead use rubbish bin that is kept inside the toilet room.
On this trekking route local people have built tea house lodges. They are quite charming and include food and beverage facilities. A simple room usually has two single beds. While staying in the tea houses you will have the opportunity to interact with the charming local people and experience their hospitality. Don't be shy, say Namaste!
Altitude Sickness can affect anyone. At high altitude, the decrease in atmospheric pressure makes breathing difficult due to less oxygen. Mainly, it happens above 3300m (10,000ft). Signs and symptoms are as follows:
- Sleepy but can’t sleep
- Loss of appetite
Prevention for this is to dress warmly as per weather conditions, drink plenty of water, eat well, and walk slowly. It is a good idea to climb higher than you sleep. Keep hydrated and make sure you avoid alcohol.
How Can I Plan and Confirm My Trip?
Trekking Planner is a government licensed trekking company in Nepal. You can see photos of legal documents in about us section. We accept your booking under following terms and conditions:
- Bookings must be done 48 hrs. in advance
- Free Cancellation
- No Down payment
- No Deposit
- Accept Cash Payment, Bank Transfer, Western Union, Money Gram, or a Credit Card.
For more information see our Terms and Conditions page.