On April 25, 2015, a massive 7.8 magnitude earthquake, also known as the Gorkha Earthquake, struck Nepal without warning. Killing close to 9,000 people and injuring more than 23,000, it is the worst natural disaster to occur in the region since 1934. It was followed by a 7.3 magnitude earthquake on May 12 and almost 400 after-shocks, in all, causing devastation and despair for 8 million people living in Nepal.
Whilst Nepal may be rich in cultural heritage and blessed with the stunning beauty of the Himalayas, it is one of Asia’s poorest countries. The widespread damage is estimated at over $10 billion USD and will take Nepal decades to recover. Political agendas have hindered the healing process and the generous international funding won’t be enough to assist rebuilding over 500,000 homes and schools destroyed or damaged.
Gorkha, the epicenter of the 25 April earthquake, is situated northwest of Kathmandu and borders Tibet. More than 80 percent of the buildings within the Gorkha district were either completely destroyed or deemed inhabitable, requiring a complete rebuild. Many of the Trekking Planners’ staff and friends originate from Gorkha have witnessed the shattering effects caused by this tragedy.
The people of Gorkha need your help, and the Trekking Planner has developed an itinerary dedicated to assisting those enduring physical anguish and financial distress.
- Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu (1350m/4430ft)
- Day 02: pre-trip meeting and guided sightseeing in Kathmandu
- Day 03: Guided sightseeing tour and trip preparations for village departure.
- Day 04: Drive to Thinkhandey about 7 hrs drive-Local homes stay
- Day 05: welcome ceremony and volunteering/rebuilding program in the village
- Day 06: volunteering/rebuilding program in the village
- Day 07: volunteering/rebuilding program in the village
- Day 08: volunteering/rebuilding program in the village
- Day 09: Hiking/trekking in the village
- Day 10: Hiking/trekking in the village
- Day 11: Hiking/trekking in the village
- Day 12: Drive to Kathmandu about 7 hrs drive
- Day 13: Final departure
USD $610.00 per person(3 star category hotel in KTM)
USD $810.00 per person(4 star category hotel in KTM)
USD $950.00 per person(5 star category hotel in KTM)
Single Supplement US $180.00
- All airport Pick up drop by private vehicle
- Welcome dinner in Authentic Restaurant
- 04 night twin/double shearing accommodation on BB in Kathmandu
- Guided sightseeing tours in Kathmandu with and private vehicle
- Kathmandu to Thinkhandey to Kathmandu drive by private vehicle
- A highly experience, helpful, knowledgeable, friendly , English speaking well trained, Government license holder guide with all his salary, food, drinks, accommodation, Transport and insurance.
- Local homes stay in the Thinkhandey vaillage during volunteering and trekking time
- Three meals a day; breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and tea/coffee during volunteering and trekking time
- Safe drinking water and first add kid box
- Trekking Planner’s sleeping bag, down jackets, Ti-shirt,Cap, duffle bags, city and trekking route maps
- Your Nepal Visa fees (should bring small accurate fees in USD and 02 passport size photos)
- All the International air fare from and to Kathmandu (no need to pay departure tax for international flight)
- Lunch and Dinner in Kathmandu
- Meals during the traveling time
- Personal travel and health Insurance, Insurance for helicopter evacuation
- In case of extra more nights accommodation, lunch and dinner in city due to early arrival and late departure as well as early back/return from mountain/trekking (due to any reason) than the given time period of itinerary
- Your Personal expenses such as ( laundry, baggage charge, phone calls, battery recharge, bar and beverage bill, boiled or bottle water, hot and cold shower, extra porter.. etc)
- The Tips to the trekking crews and drive
- Extra expenses due to flight delays, strikes, weather condition or any event out of our control
- Anything not included in service includes column
- Duffel/Rucksack bag/Suitcase (We will provide one complimentary Trekking Planner duffel bag but is to be returned after the trip)
- Day bag.( Small handbag)
- Trekking shoes
- Sports shoes or sandal.
- Sun Hat/cap
- Warm woolen cap
- Trekking jacket Gore tax/ flees jacket
- Pullover or warm sweeter
- 4/5 pairs of good qualities shock
- Hand gloves
- 2/3 pairs of Trekking trousers
- 3/4 pairs of trekking shirts
- 3/4 pairs of Underwear
- Eye glass
- Water bottle
- 4 seasons Sleeping bag (Optional/we can provide one if you need it but is to be returned after the trip)
- Flash or Torch light
- Camera and batteries.
Difficulties rating of this trip
Trekkers have to fit to do this tip even it is not that difficult. The altitude of the trip is not more than 2000m but there are some up and down and you are doing volunteering work so that better to be physical fitness .
Safe drinking water on Trip
Basically, we can get mineral water bottles on this trip but better use chlorine tablets to purify your water if you wish. Due to lack of regulation on the discard of plastic bottles it is probably better to use boiled water, very helpful for the protection of our environment. Trekking Planner provide best available water purify tablets.
Recharging Batteries of Electronic Items on this trip
Hydro electricity or solar power sources are used to charge your electrical items like camera, batteries, iPod, phone etc. Tea houses or lodges may charge small fee per hour for charging facilities. We recommend buying adaptors before the trip since plugs are limited. In Nepal 220-240 volt power is used and sockets fit round and flat plugs.
Use a dustbins and do not throw anything into the fire. Carry garbage in the way where dustbin facilities are not available and conserve the environment. Trekking Planner always trying to keep environment clean.
Spending Money per Day
It mainly depends upon spending habits; normally you should allocate US$ 5-10 per day per person good enough to buy drinks and chocolates or busying something for the school children.
Travel Insurance for trip
You should be sufficiently protected and need to have travel insurance that covers emergency evacuation, lost items, liabilities, injuries and medical treatment. Ensure the insurance covers all the activities in the Himalayas. Trekking Planner can offer the appropriate medical response based on your policy and insurance.
Washing and Toilet facilities for Trip
Well you are doing volunteering/rebuilding in the local villages where you don’t get the hot shower but trekking planner try to provide you bucket of hot water for the shower. Locals use open shower on the running cold water which will be not sufficient for the trekkers.
Toilets are mainly Asian squat style. Toilets are outside your room and it varies in how clean they are. You should not through toilet paper in the toilet hole rather you should use rubbish bin that is kept inside the toilet.
How Can I Plan and Confirm My Trip?
Trekking planner is the government licensed trekking company in Nepal as we can see a photos of legal documents in about us section. Under following terms and condition, we accept your booking:
We require a non-fundable deposit of 15% as down payment in advance in order to book flight tickets, hotel booking and Tims Cards, as well as permits. Booking must be done 5 days earlier and the amount can be either, a Bank Transfer, Western Union, Money Gram, or a Credit Card with the balance payable upon your arrival in Nepal.