Tiji Festival Trek, Upper Mustang Tiji Festival a great colorful event to observe and experience within high windswept country that leads you to far flung corners of Nepal Western Himalaya, where trail extends to Tibet border through Karo-la pass, as this wild area located on Old Trans Himalaya Salt and Caravan Trade Route of Nepal and Tibet.
One of the most scenic places around Himalaya region which actually an extension of vast and high South West of Tibetan plateau where in past centuries a flourishing trading post which is still active to this day but in smaller scales.
Upper Mustang Tiji Festival trek takes you to enjoy its dramatic beautiful country along with colorful cultures of Mustang people interwoven with Tibetan Buddhism and ancient Bonpa a pre Buddhist sect of religions.
An interesting country to visit apart from its ancient Tenji Festival which is often spelled and pronounced as “Teeji” which was shorten and abbreviated from ‘Tempa Tserim’ which means and translates to “Prayer for World peace” also commemorate victory of Lord Buddha’s incarnation.
Upper Mustang Tiji Festival begins with wonderful scenic short flight from famous touristic city of Pokhara where small aircraft lands at a small airstrip in Jomsom, headquarter and administrative town of Mustang district and home to Thakali people, been on trade with Tibet across the border since ancient times.
From Jomsom walk takes you at old Kagbeni villages where you can witness the start of Mustang culture and traditional farm life from here onward as trek continues towards high areas within eroded canyon and towering cliffs past interesting farm villages and over few passes with stunning views of snow mountains and beautiful landscapes till our route reach at former old walled kingdom of Lo Manthang.
Here enjoy and take part in the colorful Tiji a Festival chasing of demons and evil spirits performed by monks and priests, where head guru of lamas perform old ceremony gripping human skull-tops laced with streamers, lamas chant prayers and perform, nearly completes 50 different religious dances, as well interrupted by masked demons who flail wooden swords at the frightened spectators.
The festival takes place in one of its important monastery courtyard where one can explore its town like villages with narrow stone paved streets and ally witness the local impressive custom of ancient heritage with strong influence of Tibetan traditional custom.
After a great exciting and enjoyable time at Upper Mustang Tiji Festival Trek walk back to Jomsom for scenic flight to reach at picturesque Pokhara by its serene calm Phewa Lake with views of Annapurna and Machhapuchare ‘Fish-Tail’ peaks.
- On beautiful location within windswept terrain of high cliffs and canyons
- A country of photogenic landscapes and extension of vast Tibetan plateau
- Scenic views on daily walks to former walled kingdom of Lo-Manthang
- Enjoy interesting colorful and impressive Tenji Festival of Upper Mustang
- An adventure of great combination with lovely scenery and age-old culture
- Sweeping scenic flight to and from beautiful Pokhara a renowned touristic spot
- Following Old Trans Himalaya Salt and Caravan Trail of Nepal and Tibet
- 11 May 2019: Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu 1,350 m / 4,430 ft and transfer to Hotel.
- 12 May 2019: Day 02: In Kathmandu with sightseeing tour at places of interest.
- 13 May 2019: Day 03: Drive or fly to scenic Pokhara 860 m - 06 hrs and transfer to hotel.
- 14 May 2019: Day 04: Flight to Jomsom 2,700 m and trek to Kagbeni 2,830 m - 04 hrs.
- 15 May 2019: Day 05: Trek to Cheler / Tsele 3,050 m - 06 hrs.
- 16 May 2019: Day 06: Trek to Geling 3,540 m - 05 hrs.
- 17 May 2019: Day 07: Trek to Charang / Tsarang 3,560 m - 06 hrs.
- 18 May 2019: Day 08: Trek to Lo-Manthang 3,700 m - 04 hrs.
- 19 May 2019, 20 May 2019 and 21 May 2019: Day 09- 10-11: Observe Tenji Festival for three days of great interest.
- 22 May 2019: Day 12: Trek to Ghami 3,440 m - 06 hrs.
- 23 May 2019: Day 13: Trek to Samar 3,150 m -05 hrs.
- 24 May 2019: Day 14: Trek to Kagbeni -05 hrs and transfer to lodge.
- 25 May 2019: Day 15: Trek to Jomsom 2, 715 m - 04 hours.
- 26 May 2019: Day 16: Morning short drive to Jomsom airport 2,715 m and fly to Pokhara.
- 27 May 2019: Day 17: Drive / Fly to Kathmandu - 06 hrs journey (30 mins via air)
- 28 May 2019: Day 18: Final International departure from Nepal.
- All airport Pick up drop by private vehicle (Both for Domestic and International flight)
- Welcome dinner in Authentic Restaurant
- 03-night deluxe accommodation on BB in Kathmandu
- Guided sightseeing tours with private vehicle in Kathmandu (Entrance fees extra)
- Kathmandu to Pokhara to Kathmandu by tourist bus
- 02 night deluxe accommodation on BB in Pokhara
- Pokhara to Jomsom to Pokhara by flight
- ACAP Permit and Special permit for upper mustang trek
- Accommodation in the mountain during the trekking
- Three meals a day; breakfast, Lunch and Dinner during the trekking
- A highly experience, helpful, knowledgeable, friendly , English speaking well trained, Government license holder guide with all his salary, food, drinks, accommodation, Transport and insurance.
- 02 guest=01 porter with their Insurance, Salary, Food, accommodation and equipment Luggage per porter carries about 20kg).
- We provide assistant guide his salary, food, drinks, accommodation, Transport and insurance walking with group to support where necessary as per the group size
- Arrangement of emergency evacuation service (should have insurance for emergency evacuation and will be paid by your travel insurance company)
- First add kid box
- Trekking Planner’s sleeping bag, down jackets, Ti-shirt, Cap, duffle bags, city and trekking route maps – if necessary.
- Oxymeter to check your pulse and oxygen saturation and heart rate twice daily during the trekking (Very useful to check Altitude Mountain Sickness(AMS) symptoms) Which will ensure you trek is in the safest hands possible
- All applicable government and local taxes as per the itinerary
- Your Nepal Visa fees (should bring small accurate fees in USD and 02 passport size photos)
- All the International air fare from and to Kathmandu (no need to pay departure tax for international flight)
- Lunch and Dinner in Kathmandu and in Pokhara
- All necessary entrance fees for the guided sightseeing tours in city
- Personal travel and health Insurance, Insurance for helicopter evacuation
- In case of extra more nights’ accommodation, lunch and dinner in city due to early arrival and late departure as well as early back/return from mountain/trekking (due to any reason) than the given time period of itinerary
- Your Personal expenses such as ( laundry, baggage charge, phone calls, battery recharge, bar and beverage bill, boiled or bottle water, hot and cold shower, extra porter.. etc)
- The Tips to the trekking crews and drive
- Extra expenses due to flight delays, strikes, weather condition or any event out of our control
- Anything not included in service includes column