Upper Dolpo Trekking an adventure that leads you to explore the hidden and isolated areas of Nepal Far West Himalaya country, which lies on Old Salt Trade Route of Western Nepal to Tibet, this will be one of the most impressive experience of your lifetime.
Upper Dolpo Trekking, walking into the country of ancient Bonpo sect practice of pre Buddhism which is almost extinct around Himalaya countries, that still exists in hidden villages of Inner and Upper Dolpo.
Adventure to Upper Dolpo, where very few western and foreign visitors seldom venture this beautiful country, where famous classic novel ‘The Snow Leopard’ by Peter Mattessian have described of this scenic Shangri-la of Upper Dolpo, the novel was published in early 1980’s.
Later a renowned motion picture called the ‘Himalaya’ a joint venture of Nepal and French production nominated for Oscar Award in 1998 exposed Upper Dolpo to outside world, since then the area is slowly getting attention where trekkers can witness its wild natural surrounding within its pristine environment and undisturbed by outside world.
Starting this awesome journey taking a swift flight from Kathmandu to Jhupal with stopover at Nepalgunj city around Nepal Far Southern West Terai belt, from Jhupal around inner Dolpo where our adventure begins heading towards beautiful turquoise Lake of Phoksundo and visiting Ringmo village.
Our adventure continues to cross high and scenic Kang-la pass above 5,350 m with sweeping panorama of Dolpo dramatic landscapes with views of high snow capped peaks to reach at isolated Shey Gompa beneath Crystal Mountain.
Enjoying its sheer tranquil surrounding and visiting impressive old monastery then heading towards inner Dolpo area towards Dho-Tarap green wide valley on the yak trail after exploring around nice interesting village of Tokyu.
Finally walk leads on good trail following a river to Tarakot a village of great importance with historical background, a fort village that use to guard the area on this ancient Trans Himalayan Caravan and Salt Trade Route of Nepal and Tibet.
Completing our wonderful adventure heading back at Jhupal past Dunai the headquarter town of Dolpo where a scenic flight takes you at warm Nepalgunj city and then back at Kathmandu with overwhelming memories and adventure of a lifetime experience on Upper Dolpo Trekking.
- Explore the hidden areas of Upper Dolpo around Nepal Far West Himalaya
- Amazing scenery on walks within extension of vast Tibetan plateau and dramatic landscapes
- Explore Upper and Inner Dolpo a land of ancient Bon traditions of pre Buddhism culture
- Impressive old monasteries and villages with stunning views of beautiful valley and mountains
- Crossing high and scenic pass over Kang- la with exceptional views of high snow-capped peaks
- Walk from green woodland towards high windswept-dry and arid country with scenery
- Grand views of snowcapped peaks of Dhaulagiri- Kagmara with Kanjibroba peaks
- Into hidden and forgotten areas of Shey Gompa-Monastery in the shade of Crystal Mountains
- Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu 1,350 m / 4,430 ft and transfer to Hotel.
- Day 02: In Kathmandu with sightseeing tour at places of interest.
- Day 03: Fly to Nepalgunj city and transfer to hotel. (50 mins on air)
- Day 04: Fly to Jhupal 2,475 m then drive to Dunai 2,140 m - 02 hrs.
- Day 05: Trek to Chhepka 2,838 m - 06 hrs.
- Day 06: Trek to Samdua village 2,960m -06 hrs.
- Day 07: Trek to Phoksumdo Lake 3,630 m - 06 hours.
- Day 08: Rest day at Phoksundo Lake for local excursion.
- Day 09: Trek to Phoksundo-Khola 3,750 m- 05 hrs.
- Day 10: Trek to Phoksundo Bhanjyang 4,717 m - 04 hrs.
- Day 11: Cross Kang -La 5,350 m and trek to Shey Gompa 4,160 m via -06 hrs.
- Day 12: Rest day at Shey Gompa around Crystal Monastery.
- Day 13: Trek to Namgung 4,608 m via Sela (Gela) La 5,094m.
- Day 14: Trek to Saldang 3,770 m - 05 hours.
- Day 15: Trek to Chagaon 4,910 m - 05 hrs.
- Day 16: Trek to Dachu Khola camp at 4,700 m - 06 hrs.
- Day 17: Trek and cross over Jyanta-La at 5,220 m and walk to Phedi 4,900 m - 06 hrs.
- Day 18: Trek to Tokyu Gaon 4,209 m via Jeng la 5,090m-06 hrs.
- Day 19: Trek to Dho Tarap 3, 944 m- 05 hrs.
- Day 20: Trek to Ghymagar 3,759 m - 07 hrs.
- Day 21: Trek to Tarap Khola 3,652 via Chhyugar 3,440 m - 06 hours.
- Day 22: Trek to Tarakot 2,540 m - 06 hrs.
- Day 23: Trek to Dunai - 05 hrs then drive to Jhupal - 02 hr jeep ride.
- Day 24: Fly back to Kathmandu via Nepalgunj and transfer to hotel.
- Day 25: Free day in Kathmandu for individual activities.
- Day 26: Final International departure from Nepal.
- All airport pick up drop off by private vehicle (for both international and domestic flights)
- Welcome dinner in an authentic restaurant
- 04 night twin/double shearing deluxe accommodation on BB in Kathmandu
- 01 night twin/double shearing deluxe accommodation on full board in Nepaljung
- Guided sightseeing tours in Kathmandu with private vehicle (entrance fees extra)
- Kathmandu to NepalJung to Juphal and Jumla to Nepaljung to Kathmandu by flight
- All necessary trek permit and Trekkers’ Information Management System( TIMS card)
- A highly experience, helpful, knowledgeable, friendly, English speaking, well-trained, Government license holding guide. Price includes his salary, food, drinks, accommodation, transport and insurance.
- 02 guest to 01 porter with their insurance, salary, food, accommodation and equipment
- Your cost includes insurance, wages, food and lodging for both your guide and porter. We take excellent care of our guides and porters, they are like family to us.
- Best available twin sharing lodge accommodation during the trek (private bathrooms with hot showers are provided at Phakding, Namche and Lukla)
- Three meals a day; breakfast, lunch and dinner and tea/coffee during the trekking.
- Snacks of biscuits/peanuts and seasonal fresh fruits dessert during the trek
- First aid kit
- Trekking Planner’s sleeping bag, down jackets, T-shirt, cap, duffle bags, city and trekking route maps – if necessary.
- Arrangement of emergency evacuation service (should have insurance for emergency evacuation and will be paid by your travel insurance company)
- Oxymeter to check your pulse and oxygen saturation and heart rate twice daily during the trek (very useful to check Altitude Mountain Sickness(AMS) symptoms). This helps ensure your trek is in the safest hands possible.
- All applicable government and local taxes per the itinerary
- One-hour complimentary spa/massage in Kathmandu after the trek
- Nepal Visa fee (Bring accurate fee in USD and two Passport size Photo)
- International airfare to and from Kathmandu (no need to pay departure tax for international flight)
- Diner and lunch in Kathmandu
- Personal travel and health Insurance, Insurance for helicopter evacuation
- Extra night accommodation and lunch and dinner in city because of early arrival, late departure and early return from the mountain (due to any reason) then the scheduled itinerary
- Personal expenses (phone calls, baggage charge, laundry, bar bills, battery recharge, extra porters, bottle or boiled water, shower etc)
- Tips to the trekking crews and drive
- Extra expenses due to flight delays, strikes, weather condition or any event out of our control
- Anything not included in service includes column
- Trekking Bag pack.
- Trekking day bag.( Small handbag)
- Trekking shoes.
- Sports shoes or sandal.
- Trekking stick.
- Sun Hat, cap
- Warm woolen cap.
- Trekking jacket Gore tax/ flees jacket.
- Pullover or warm sweeter.
- 4/5 pairs of good qualities shock.
- Hand gloves.
- 2/3 pairs of Trekking trousers
- 3/4 pairs of trekking shirts.
- 3/4 pairs of Underwear
- Eye glass
- Water bottle.
- Sleeping bag.
- Flash or Torch light.
- Camera and batteries.
- Sun cream.
Difficulties rating of Upper Dolpo Trek
A trekkers have to pass many difficult ways so trekker should be fit to do this trekking. Maximum altitude of the trek is 5350m, so you should be careful about altitude related risk. To get rid of it please walk slowly and have more water and avoid alcoholic drinks. Please be careful of frost bit and snow blindness. You must take care of your health.
Safe drinking water on Upper Dolpo Trek
Basically, we can get mineral water bottles in lower places but as we go higher cannot find it. In that case we suggest you to drink boiled water which may charge small fee, found in tea houses and better to bring chlorine tablets to purify water. Due to no provision of plastic bottles better to use boiled rather than mineral water, helpful for protection of environment.
Recharging Batteries of Electronic Items On the Trek
Hydro electricicty or solar power sources are used to charge your electrical items like camera, batteries, ipod, iphone etc. Tea houses or lodges may charge small fee per hours for charging facilities. Better to buy adoptors before the trip since plugs are limited. In Nepal 220-240 volt power is used and sockets fit round and flat plugs.
Use a dustbins and do not throw anything into the fire. Carry garbages in the way where dustbin facilities is not available and conserve the environment.
Spending Money per Day
It mainly depends upon spending habits, normally you should allocate US$ 9-12 per meal in Kathmandu and Pokhara. On trekking, US$ 10-14 a day is good enough to buy drinks and chocolates.
Travel Insurance for Upper Dolpo Trek
You should be sufficiently protected and need to have travel insurance that covers emergency evacuation, lost items, liabilities, injuries and medical treatment. Ensure the insurance covers all the activities in the himalayas. Trekking Planner can offer the appropriate medical response based on your policy and insurance.
Washing and Toilet facilities for Upper Dolpo Trek:
All the guest houses offers hot showers, which can be in bathroom or can be a bucket of hot water. Please note that at high altitude there may not be enough hot water for all the trekkers. Limit the use of hot water unless the water is solar heated or firewood for the ecological reason. Every lodge have some kind of washing facilities but you must carry a bar of soap. If the water frozed then ask your guide to get warm bowl of water.
Toilet are mainly Asian squat style. Basically toilet are outside your room and vary in how clean they are. You should not through toilet paper in the toilet hole rather you should use rubbish bin tht is kept inside the toilet.
On this trekking route local people have built tea houses lodge with food and beverage facilities. A simple room usually have two narrow beds. While staying in the tea houses you will see the charming local people with their good hospitality services.
How Can I Plan and Confirm My Trip?
Trekking Planner is a government licensed trekking company in Nepal. You can see photos of legal documents in about us section. We accept your booking under following terms and conditions:
- Bookings must be done 48 hrs. in advance
- Free Cancellation
- No Down payment
- No Deposit
- Accept Cash Payment, Bank Transfer, Western Union, Money Gram, or a Credit Card.
For more information see our Terms and Conditions page.