Upper Mustang Trekking is an exotic tour and one of the most mysterious and popular treks in Nepal. It has been described as the desert in Nepalese Himalayas. ”Mustang’ is a Tibetan derived word meaning fertile plain’ in Nepali. Geographically, It is located in the north of Annapurna at an average altitude of 4,000m and culturally the part of Tibetan plateau. The landscape of Mustang is dry, naturally carved sandstone pillars and discontinuous moraine terraces, these all present naturally a colorful variety made up of red, yellow and brown together. The trekking to Mustang is through an almost treeless landscape and infertile landscape. You experience the strong wind blowing across the area as it is a rain shadow area of Nepal.
The most convenient way to get to upper Mustang is to fly from Pokhara to Jomsom and start the trek from here. The flight is an attraction in itself, flying through the deepest gorge in the world. The Upper Mustang Trekking is a perfect destination for visiting oldest Buddhist monasteries and many historical caves and Himalayas beauty. This semi-autonomous is a heavily Tibetan influenced region. This trek brings you into the hidden world of the old Buddhist kingdom of Mustang, also called Lo. The trek to Lo-Manthang (walled capital)is almost through a treeless barren landscape, a steep rocky trail, and downhill, panoramic view of Nilgiri, Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, and several others peak make your trek memorable. Upper Mustang is also known as “the last forbidden” kingdom of Nepal”. The landscape here is extremely beautiful. A lifestyle of people, who have been residing calmly, even in such a harsh environment, has its own charm. Lo-manthang, Choser Cave and Ghar Gompa is the major attraction of upper mustang trekking. Tiji is greatest festival in Mustang region. It will be a unique privilege to witness the same color, costume, dancing, and rituals that were displayed by these people in this place more than 600 years ago.
Before 1991 upper mustang was a restricted area for foreigners to enter. NepalDepartmentt of immigration started a small number of special trekking permits since 1991. Nowadays foreigners are allowed and upper Mustang has become the best attraction for tourist around the world. You can do a camping trek and tea house trek. Teahouse trek is comparatively least costly, however; nowadays lodge to lodge stay is also available. So get ready to explore this exotic trekking route with Trekking Planner to make it more convenient and memorable.
- Adventure on ancient Trans-Himalayan Salt Trade & Caravan Trail to Tibet via Mustang
- Extension of huge South-West Tibetan plateau and world highest table-land
- Explore lovely Mustang villages enriched with old traditional culture of Buddhism
- Impressive monasteries and trail decorated with impressive prayer walls and bells
- Walk on high windswept-dry and arid country within beautiful landscapes
- Grand views of snow capped peaks of Dhaulagiri-Nilgiri’s and Mustang Himal
- Trekking into former walled kingdom of Upper Mustang at Lo-Manthang
- Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu (1350m/4430ft )
- Day 02: Full day in Kathmandu
- Day 03: Drive to Pokhara (820m/2690ft) about 07 hrs drive
- Day 04: Fly to Jomsom (2710m/8891ft) about 25min and trek to Kagbeni (2807m/9209ft) 3-4 hrs walk
- Day 05: Trek to Chussang (2920m/9580ft) 5-6 hrs walk
- Day 06: Trek to Samar (3290m/10793ft) 5-6 hrs walk
- Day 07: Trek to Ghiling (3600m/11811ft) 5-6 hrs walk
- Day 08: Trek to Tsarang (3520m/11549ft) 6-7 hrs walk
- Day 09: Trek to Lo Manthang (3780m/12402ft) 4-5 hrs walk
- Day 10: Full day in Local Excursion in Lo Manthang
- Day 11: Trek to Ghami (3440m/11286ft) 5-6 hrs walk
- Day 12: Trek to Samar (3150m/10335ft) 4-5 hrs walk
- Day 13: Trek to Kagbeni (2807m/9209ft) 4-5 hrs walk
- Day 14: Trek to Jomsom(2710m/8891ft)
- Day 15: Fly back to Pokhara(820m/2690ft)
- Day 16: Drive back to Kathmandu (1350m/4430ft)
- Day 17: Final departure
- All airport Pick up drop by private vehicle (Both for Domestic and International flight)
- Welcome dinner in Authentic Restaurant
- 03-night deluxe accommodation on BB in Kathmandu
- Guided sightseeing tours with private vehicle in Kathmandu
- Kathmandu to Pokhara to Kathmandu by tourist bus
- 02 night deluxe accommodation on BB in Pokhara
- Pokhara to Jomsom to Pokhara by flight
- ACAP Permit and Special permit for upper mustang trek
- Accommodation in the mountain during the trekking
- Three meals a day; breakfast, Lunch and Dinner during the trekking
- A highly experience, helpful, knowledgeable, friendly , English speaking well trained, Government license holder guide with all his salary, food, drinks, accommodation, Transport and insurance.
- 02 guest=01 porter with their Insurance, Salary, Food, accommodation and equipment Luggage per porter carries about 20kg).
- We provide assistant guide his salary, food, drinks, accommodation, Transport and insurance walking with group to support where necessary as per the group size
- Arrangement of emergency evacuation service (should have insurance for emergency evacuation and will be paid by your travel insurance company)
- First add kid box
- Trekking Planner’s sleeping bag, down jackets, Ti-shirt, Cap, duffle bags, city and trekking route maps – if necessary.
- Oxymeter to check your pulse and oxygen saturation and heart rate twice daily during the trekking (Very useful to check Altitude Mountain Sickness(AMS) symptoms) Which will ensure you trek is in the safest hands possible
- All applicable government and local taxes as per the itinerary
- Your Nepal Visa fees (should bring small accurate fees in USD and 02 passport size photos)
- All the International air fare from and to Kathmandu (no need to pay departure tax for international flight)
- Lunch and Dinner in Kathmandu and in Pokhara
- All necessary entrance fees for the guided sightseeing tours in city
- Meals during the traveling time
- Personal travel and health Insurance, Insurance for helicopter evacuation
- In case of extra more nights’ accommodation, lunch and dinner in city due to early arrival and late departure as well as early back/return from mountain/trekking (due to any reason) than the given time period of itinerary
- Your Personal expenses such as ( laundry, baggage charge, phone calls, battery recharge, bar and beverage bill, boiled or bottle water, hot and cold shower, extra porter.. etc)
- The Tips to the trekking crews and drive
- Extra expenses due to flight delays, strikes, weather condition or any event out of our control
- Anything not included in service includes column
- Duffel/Rucksack bag/Suitcase (We will provide one complimentary Trekking Planner duffel bag but is to be returned after the trip)
- Day bag.( Small handbag)
- Trekking shoes
- Sports shoes or sandal.
- Sun Hat/cap
- Warm woolen cap
- Trekking jacket Gore tax/ flees jacket
- Pullover or warm sweeter
- 4/5 pairs of good qualities shock
- Hand gloves
- 2/3 pairs of Trekking trousers
- 3/4 pairs of trekking shirts
- 3/4 pairs of Underwear
- Eye glass
- Water bottle
- 4 seasons Sleeping bag (Optional/we can provide one if you need it but is to be returned after the trip)
- Flash or Torch light
- Camera and batteries.
Difficulties rating of Upper Mustang Trekking
A trekkers have to pass many hills so trekker should be fit to do this trekking. Maximum altitude of the trek is 3930m, so you should be careful about altitude related risk. To get rid of it please walk slowly and have more water and avoid alcoholic drinks. Please be careful of frost bit and snow blindness. You must take care of your health.
Safe drinking water on Upper Mustang Trekking
Basically, we can get mineral water bottles in lower places but as we go higher cannot find it. In that case we suggest you to drink boiled water which may charge small fee, found in tea houses and better to bring chlorine tablets to purify water. Due to no provision of plastic bottles better to use boiled rather than mineral water, helpful for protection of environment.
Recharging Batteries of Electronic Items On the Trek
Hydro electricicty or solar power sources are used to charge your electrical items like camera, batteries, ipod, iphone etc. Tea houses or lodges may charge small fee per hours for charging facilities. Better to buy adoptors before the trip since plugs are limited. In Nepal 220-240 volt power is used and sockets fit round and flat plugs.
Use a dustbins and do not throw anything into the fire. Carry garbages in the way where dustbin facilities is not available and conserve the environment.
Spending Money per Day
It mainly depends upon spending habits, normally you should allocate US$ 9-12 per meal in Kathmandu and Pokhara. On trekking, US$ 10-14 a day is good enough to buy drinks and chocolates.
Travel Insurance for Upper Mustang Trek
You should be sufficiently protected and need to have travel insurance that covers emergency evacuation, lost items, liabilities, injuries and medical treatment. Ensure the insurance covers all the activities in the himalayas. Trekking Planner can offer the appropriate medical response based on your policy and insurance.
Washing and Toilet facilities for Upper Mustang Trek:
All the guest houses offers hot showers, which can be in bathroom or can be a bucket of hot water. Please note that at high altitude there may not be enough hot water for all the trekkers. Limit the use of hot water unless the water is solar heated or firewood for the ecological reason. Every lodge have some kind of washing facilities but you must carry a bar of soap. If the water frozed then ask your guide to get warm bowl of water.
Toilet are mainly Asian squat style. Basically toilet are outside your room and vary in how clean they are. You should not through toilet paper in the toilet hole rather you should use rubbish bin tht is kept inside the toilet.
On this trekking route local people have built tea houses lodge with food and beverage facilities. A simple room usually have two narrow beds. While staying in the tea houses you will see the charming local people with their good hospitality services.
How Can I Plan and Confirm My Trip?
Trekking Planner is a government licensed trekking company in Nepal. You can see photos of legal documents in about us section. We accept your booking under following terms and conditions:
- Bookings must be done 48 hrs. in advance
- Free Cancellation
- No Down payment
- No Deposit
- Accept Cash Payment, Bank Transfer, Western Union, Money Gram, or a Credit Card.
For more information see our Terms and Conditions page.